Friday, July 27, 2007

SADLY BEAUTIFUL

Sorry I haven't blogged yet about my fabulous weekend in Dallas. Since I have been home, Ive been very pre-occupied with my dear granny who is refusing to depart her shell of a body. Although my mother never shielded me from death and I took my morbid interest in death a bit further by studying "death and dying" in college, I have never actually watched someone go thru the process of dying. Its been a roller coaster of emotions. I am blessed to have been with her when the priest read her "Last Rites." It is to be the final shared moment between us. It was a perfect triangle of the priest, my granny, and myself. No one else will know the BEAUTY of that moment. It was the first time in 11 years that I have prayed.
My wish for her is to depart to a place where she will be free to do the things that she loves the most, the things she has been unable to do for so many years. She will be able to WALK again. She will be able to EAT again, the food she loved so dearly. She will be able to DRINK a cold glass of ice water. She will be able to HEAR again. And most importantly she will be able to SEE, HUG, HOLD, KISS the person she has longed to be with for 33 years...my grandfather. So let go sweet woman. Run to your new home. Enjoy every second of every moment. And promise to greet me when it is my turn. Have a fresh pot of white beans ready so we can catch up...when the time is right.